Sunday, August 24, 2008

22' Racing Yacht

This BLOG site is about building a 22' Racing Yacht. The plans for this yacht come from a library book entiled 'BoatBuilding' by Howard I. Chapelle. The offsets from that book will be provided later in this blog. The purpose of building this yacht is to begin competitive racing within a year.

The frames (shown below) were built from the offsets provided in the above book. The frames were made out of 5/8" OSB because it's cheap and the frames will be removed from the project in a later stage.

The frames were then mounted on a strongback (made of 2 x 4 boards). They were erected at 2 foot intervals. The strongback was about 3 feet above the ground. Notice in the following photos that the frames were located on a centerline and were set perpendicular to that center line.

After mounting the frames, I used lathes to connect the various waterlines to ensure that the shape was true.

Now the fun begins. First 1/4" thick strips of 1-1/2" pine stock were soaked in water for 24 hours. Throughly soaked strips were placed on the molds and screwed on and left for 24 hours to dry in place. When throughly dried the slats were laminated with waterproof glue (TitebondIII) and returned to the molds to dry in place. When the lamination of the ribs was complete, the ribs were removed and run through the planner to make them all the same size. Then they were returned to the molds for futher assembly.

After the ribs and backbone were formed (laminated) and placed on the molds the next step was to begin the lamination of the skin. This was done by laying the first layer fore and aft then the second layer at a 45 degree angle to the first, followed by the third which was again laid fore and aft. The third layer used 3/4" x 1/4" Ash instead of the pine which was used for the under layers. Each layer was glued with waterproof glue to the previous layer using nails or staples to hold them in place while the glue dried. In a few instances where the bends were quite sevier, screws were used. In these cases the screws were later removed.

As the skin went on in some places there was seperation between the lathes. These were tightened up by placing strips perpendicular to the skin lathes and attaching at each joint. These strips were later trimmed off as the turn at the chine was to sharp to continue bending.

The skin went on from the gunnels towards the center. Here the first layer is about 1/2 done. Turning at the chine was difficult due to the sharp bend in this area. For this reason, I believe in the future, it would be better to space out the boards in this layer. The boards in this layer are more for shape than strength or water tightness.

Although the first layer is not quite done in this photo, I got anxious to begin the second layer.

More of the criss-cross second layer

Here the 3 layers have been completed and the finish applied. Also, notice that a hole has been cut in the center to accomodate installation of the centerboard housing. The centerboard housing will be applied after the boat is turned over.

Photo of the detail of the completed bow.

Here the boat has finally been turned over. It was done by 4 men turning it by hand. Joshua, Jeb, Kevin and Myself laid it on one side then rolled it over. It wasn't as heavy as one might think. I estimate 400 to 500 lbs.

The boat turned and the center board housing installed. The housing will be trimmed in a later stage. Next major step will be to put in the floor.

(The two boards near the stern were installed temporarily to hold the shape of the gunnel until the deck is installed.

Support for the bow deck.

Anchor Locker (Bos'n locker). Wall installed and void filled with foam.

Bos'n locker bulkhead installed. There will be a hatch in the deck over this area to access sails and anchor.

Now the deck goes in. Again, all voids filled with foam.

Bulkhead (partial bulkhead) installed between storage compartment and main cockpit (approximately in the center of the centerboard housing.

The inside view of this boat are starting to get a little familar, but here notice the addition of the seat frames. Little by little...

A little more floor boarding. I can't stop taking pictures!

In the next two pictures notice the board across the boat with the little piece nailed on the end. This was a jig i used to install the deck frames. The piece of wood at the end is the shape and angle of the deck frame and the board across the gunwales served to place them at the proper height.

Starboard side, main cockpit siding finished.

The next few photos are various views of the cockpit and the forward storage compartment showing nearly completed floors/walls. Also in t he cockpit notice the seat and side rail frames.